Thursday, June 4, 2009

There is such a thing as being too nice "/

This was taken at my brother's graduation on tuesday, cute huh?! Jeff actually brought the ipod for himself, though it came in REALLY handy when Jace was getting fussy, we have movies on it ") nice thinking babe!
The graduation was nice, long yes, though still nice. I am so proud of my little brother! Yay Ben!
Now why the title? Well it all starts when we were going home from the graduation. We were motoring along when Jace says "drink" . Both Jeff and I say "crap" because he had downed the sippy at the graduation and we hadn't refilled it. He drinks about a gallon a day I swear. We were just passing the flying J in Logan and Jeff slams on the breaks and crosses the lanes to turn. When we pulled up there is a guy sitting at the front with a sign that says "stranded, need a ride to Ogden" We don't normally help those people out, who knows if you get a crazy person?! Well this time Jeff and I talked briefly and decided to help him. So we give him a ride. He is making pleasant coversation, we found out that he was stranded because he had just gotten out of jail (right, I know) and that he was in for drugs (nice) still pleasant enough. Jeff dropped Jace and I off at home and he took our new "friend" to the frontrunner station. Finding that it wasn't running anymore that night (it was 11:30 by now) we offer to put him in a hotel for the night (we didn't want him sleeping on a bench, too nice like I say) Jeff found a decent place for a decent price, the guy thanks him and Jeff leaves. OH but as they were checking in a worker comes to the desk to talk to the girl and tells her there are some guys outside smoking pot and what he should do. Our "friend" chuckles and says "what did he say?" But otherwise ignore's it. Jeff leaves and the next day at around 10:30 maybe earlier Jeff calls to make sure he checked out okay. They tell him he hasn't checked out yet but that check out isn't till 12. Jeff calls back at 11:30ish and tell them that he want's them to kick him out if he isn't out already, he dosen't want us charged for another day! They go up to the room to see and he isn't there!! Some girl is there, whom we do not have a clue where she came from. The room is trashed and has been smoked in "/ Grrrr. So they charge us... ready for this?... over $200 for damages! Ya I was not excited about this development. So lesson learned, maybe a ride and bus fare, that is it! Jeff and I both felt okay about helping him out, so we figure that it happened for a reason and that we get to be more careful. We both now just really hope that he learns something also and that someday he can be happy for real, instead of by whatever others means.
Jeff has been such a rock through all of this. He has been so kind and graceful about it all. I wasn't mad really at anyone, even our "friend", more just really disappointed and sad that it happened that way and a little bit taken advatage of. As you can imagine.
We are through it now though and will be fine " ) Learned a really good lesson and will use more judgement next time.
Thanks for reading, this is a good outlet. Plus now it is here for posterity, seeing as this is a sort of a journal for me.
Remember don't go being TOO nice! Still be nice though, everyone deserves some kindness! ")

6 comments:

Greg and Taya said...

I think it's so great that you helped him out, even though he took advantage of you. Good job, and you seem to have a great attitude about it!

Drew and Amber said...

That is great that you helped!! It will pay off sooner or later right??? Good for you! Sorry he took advantage but you guys are very nice to help

Rodarte Family said...

That is awful that he took advantage of your kindness, but what great people you are for helping a stranger in need. The world needs more people like the two of you.

Anonymous said...

So sorry someone took advantage of you, but hey that was sure nice of you guys.
I love the picture of Jace watching the ipod. How fun is that for him!!

Anonymous said...

totally agree!! it makes it hard to help ones that probably really need it! I usually buy them food, or something..

Tim and Melissa said...

Wow. I'm impressed that you guys did so much for him and then to have him be so inconsiderate is sad. Thanks for being a good example to me though!!